What to do if a house across the street from mine burned 2 years ago and I have tried for over a year to get the city or state to step in and do something to no avail?

The home is uninhabitable. I have seen people in recent days coming and going from there but I know for a fact the property has not been sold. Is there a law in that says that the government must demolish the home?

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about you should consult with a city council person about the burnt unit being a nuisance and what can be done to have it razed to the ground by the township. You could also consult with a real estate attorney about filing your own nuisance action against the property owner to have the balance of the home demolished.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.