If a hospital has been holding on to an overpayment we made to a bill for 2 years ago, is there any legal action I can take?

I sent a check for a bill to a hospital with the wrong PO box number on. Then a few weeks later I got a message from the hospital stating they didn’t receive the funds for the bill. So I sent a second check whichzero’ed our balance with them. The first check has remained with the hospital since a few months after sending it, where it has remained in limbo while the PO box issue was worked out. I have a record that they have the funds from the first check.

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Business Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately for you there is no real legal action that you can do to get the hospital that you owe money to, or at least owed money to to cash the check that it has been holding to "zero" your account with it.

The best that you can do is write the hospital a letter referencing the checks paid and that once they have been negotiated your account has no balance owed on it. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference and need. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.