What to do if a group purchased prepaid bulk rounds of golf from a local golf club but it recently changed ownership and is not being honoring the tickets?

Ownership changed without notice. The expiration date on the tickets about 11/2 years from now. Is this legal?

Asked on October 25, 2013 under Business Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

There is no simple answer--it depends on how ownership changed. If the new owner(s) bought the corporate structure--that is, for example, the limited liability company or corporation--of the golf club, then since it is still the same business entity, merely owned by new people, it would be obligated to honor the prepaid tickets. On the other hand, if the corporate or business structure was not purchased, but rather the assets only (e.g. the course, the clubhouse, etc.), then the new owner would not be obligated to any prepaid tickets sold by the former entity, since the new owner is a diffeent person. It would be like if, for example, you had a contract with a friend that in exchange for his helping you move, you'd let him borrow your car 10 times; if you sold you car to a new person, the new owner of your car would not be obligated to let your friend borrow it. You may be able to sue the former owner of the club, however, for breaching its agreement by taking your money but no longer being able to provide what you purchased (the golf rounds).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.