What can we do if a garage that has been converted into a studio has a tenant that will not pay or leave?

A garage that was converted into a studio (it was converted before the purchasing of the house), has been rented out and the tenant refuses to pay or leave. What can be done to get the tenant to leave without getting fined or having the garage being broken by the city?

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have a tenant in a unit regardless of its legality who is not paying rent and you simply want the tenant to leave, serve him or her with a thirty (30) day notice of termination of the lease. If the tenant does not vacate within the thirty (30) day time period of being served with this notice you will need to file an unlawful detainer action against him or her in the county court house.

Given the issues you have with this tenant, I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney to assist you in getting the tenant evicted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.