If afriend was arrested for violation of probation and his bail was set at $50000 because of a mistake, can we reduce his bail before the court date?

He was arrested 2 days ago due to failure to pay his fines; his court date is in 10 days. The county jail admitted that he did not have a failure to appear which was why the bail was so high; however, they are claiming bail cannot be reset until he goes before a judge and is given a public defender.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

In most cases the reduction of one's set bail cannot be obtained until there is a court hearing on the matter and the issue is addressed. I suggest that given the situation that your friend is in for violation of his probation that he immediately consult and retain a criminal defense attorney to represent his interests in the current criminal action.

The attorney can also file a motion to reduce the amount of the $50,000 bail to a reasonable amount. Good luck to him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.