What to do if afriend’s landlord locked my car behind his gate after my friend was evicted.

A friend of mine owed me money and couldn’t pay. In exchange he offered to fix my car. Apparently he had not been paying his rent his landlord took him to court and locked my car behind the fence. What can I do. Apparently the court has ordered my car to be sold at public auction. Can this happen?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact the landlord about the car you own that is at the landlord's property in order to see if he will voluntarily give it to you. If he will not, send him a written letter requesting its return to you by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter for future use.

If not given to you by a certain date as requested in the letter, your option is to consult with an attorney in order to get its return. If there is an order for the car to be sold at public auction, then the order controls assuming it is a proper court order. You will need to get this order set aside.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.