If a friend of mine has legal custody of an unborn child and has decided to sign over custody to me, do I need a lawyer?

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Family Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

One cannot sign over custody of an unborn child for the simple fact that the woman carrying the unborn child literally has possession of it until born.

From what you have written, you and your friend need to consult with a family law attorney concerning issues as to adoption and/or solely custody and have the proper paper work and court orders concerning such taken care of.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.