If a wedding paperwork isn’t filed, is the marriage legal?

Asked on August 1, 2015 under Family Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You must file for a marriage license through your county clerk's office.  Then the documentation will also be attested to by the religious figure or civil figure who conducts the ceremony and of course, by your witnesses. 
If you don't have such a license, there is no legal marriage.  Consider speaking with your county clerk's office on what is on file for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.