What to do if a friend fell in a parking lot walking from work but her employer told her she could not file a worker’s comp claim as she was off the clock?

Is there a “coming and going” clause for workers comp? The parking lot was in disrepair and the employer is not responsible for maintenance. They were aware that their employees had to park in lot and walk to get into the building and that the parking lot presented a slip and fall exposure however.

Asked on June 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the friend was not working at the time--so, for example, her workday had ended and she was headed for her car to go home--then she would not be eligible for Worker's Compensation; Worker's Compensation is not insurance for injuries occuring at the employer's location, but rather comensation for injuries incurred in the course of work.

However, if she cannot file a Worker's Compensation claim, she may be able to sue: property owners have an obligation to maintain their property in a reasonably safe manner. If the parking lot's owner (either the employer or the landlord, for example) has allowed the parking lot to get into disrepair and its due to that disrepair that your friend fell, she may be able to sue that person or business. Of course, since you can only sue to recover medical costs, lost wages, out-of-pocket expenses related to the injury, and "pain and suffering" for serious injuries, if she was not hurt or only slight hurt, it would not be worthwhile to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.