What to do if a friend claims that I damaged the hood of his car but won’t give proof of damage?

It has been past 3 days since the claimed damage was done. If no proof has been given, must I entitled to pay it?

Asked on February 27, 2013 under Accident Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you don't pay then you can be sued in small claims court. However, once there, a judge will ask for proof of the claimed amount of damages. If it's not provided then you won't be obilgated to pay. On the other hand, if proof is provided you may be found liable. At that point, you will owe not only the cost of repairs but for court filing fees, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.