a form to release iterest

my wife’s attorney want me to sign a form to release my interest in the house that we purchase together.what happen if I don’t sign?

Asked on August 22, 2018 under Family Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You can't be made to voluntarily sign an agreement giving up any rights or interests; if there is no court order (e.g. from the conclusion of a divorce case)  and no other agreement you have already entered into (e.g. from a divorce settlemeent) requiring you to do this, you can freely refuse to do so without penalty. If there is a court order/decree or settlement requiring you to give up your interest, however, you can be punished by the court system (e.g. for "contempt of court"), including possibly by imprisonment, for not doing so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.