If my significant other and I had a really bad fight so I called the cops and now he is facing charges of domestic battery, what can I do to stop those charges?

I had to fill out a police report.

Asked on October 22, 2014 under Criminal Law, West Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can't "stop" the charges: once you make your police report, what to do with them is up to the authorities, not you. That's not to say that you can't speak with the prosecutor, explain your position, and ask if the prosecutor will drop the charges--often they will in cases like this, but they don't have to. All you can do is ask, and the best way to ask is be very humble, respectful, and have a good explanation for why you do not want the charges to go forward.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.