What do I do if a family member opened an account in my name without my knowledge and then quit paying for it?

My family member opened an account, paid it for awhile, and then stopped paying. I just recently found out about this when it was sent to collections. I already filed a police report and filled out all the fraud paperwork with the company. They denied my fraud paperwork and said that I am responsible for the $1700 because I had contact with the cell phone number that was opened. Well of course I did, its my family member and I had no idea they did this. This person has accepted responsibility but th creditor will not take it out of my name still. What do I do next?

Asked on July 25, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The best way to contest that matter that you have written about is to send a detailed letter to the vendor stating that the account was opened fraudulently by a third party and that you never received the benefits of it and that the account be "frozen" immediately. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and reference.

Next contact the family member who fraudulently opened the account in your name demanding that such be paid off in full. Send a letter memorializing the conversation. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need. If the account is not paid off, then your option is to consult an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to advise you as to what your legal recourse is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.