If a drunk driver hit my parked car what can I do?

My car was legally parked out in front of my house. I woke up to cops telling me that my car was hit by a drunk driver. He ran on foot but they caught him. I currently have no insurance on my vehicle, he however does. I just don’t know what to do now I’ve never had to make a claim in my life.

I live in Oklahoma any knowledge would be

greatly appreciated thank you

Asked on August 30, 2016 under Accident Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you know who his insurer is (e.g. he gave that information to the police), you can submit a claim to his insurer: call them for the procedure. If they won't pay voluntarily and/or you don't know who they are, file a lawsuit against the drunk driver. Since he was drunk and he hit a stationary car, he was by definition at fault--you will almost certainly win, at which time he or his insurer will pay. You should sue for the full cost to repair your car, plus for any other out-of-pocket costs you incurred, like towing, or rental of a replacement car while yours is being repaired, etc. If the amount of your loss is less than the limit for small claims court, sue in small claims as your own attorney ("pro se")--you can get instructions from the court clerk's office. If more than the small claims limit, hire an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.