What should I do if a driver hit my house?

I found out days later. I called their insurer and it said that the effective date was the day after the accident. I called her home number but no one picks up. Should I go to her house?

Asked on August 9, 2013 under Accident Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, you should file a lawsuit against her. If  she does not have insurance and is avoiding your calls, she is almost certainly not going to pay voluntarily; to make her pay, you'll need to sue her and win. If the damage (e.g. the cost of repairs) is less than the limit for your small claims courts, sue in small claims acting as your own attorney (pro se). If the damage exceeds the small claims limit, speak with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.