If a dentist stitched my gum but since the swelling has gone down I have noticed he stitched my cheek to my gum, is there anything I can do about it?

Asked on June 24, 2012 under Malpractice Law, North Carolina


Thomas Reilly / Albert W Chianese & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The first thing you should do is see another dentist to check the stich, preferable an oral surgeon.  The longer the stich is as it is the harder it will be to remove.  If the stich has hit a nerve and caused some nerve damage you should also see a nevre specialist as soon as possible.  The faster a nerve injury is treated the higher the chance of a successful recovery. You should call a dental malpractice attorney once you have seen a dentist to treat/ remove the stich. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If what the dentist did does not meet the standards for acceptable dental care--which appears to be the case from what you write--then you may have a malpractice claim. If so, you could potentially recover for pain and suffering, if significant enough; for medical costs (like the cost to have someone fix the problem); and for lost wages (if you miss work). It would be worthwhile to speak to a medical malpractice attorney about your situation, especially one who provides a free consultation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.