A debate over rights to use water from a spring on my property

I acquired title to 11.5 acres in Somerset County, Pa., approximately one year ago (March, 2008) from my father’s estate. Sometime prior to my father’s death, a neighbor had installed pipes to take water from a spring on my father’s property. The neighbor insists that because he’s been able to do this for seven years or more without being told to stop, he has the right to continue to do so. This was done without the knowledge of my father or I. We do not live on the unimproved land. Can the neighbor possibly be correct considering the underhanded nature of his act?

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I don't think so.  But I think it's very important that, now that you've found out about this, you act as soon as possible to assert your rights. Please see an attorney in Somerset County, PA, about this case, so you can get reliable advice, based on all of the facts, about what to do next.

I'm not a Pennsylvania attorney, but my research suggests rather strongly that the time requirement for a claim like your neighbor's is 21 years, not 7.  What he did was indeed underhanded, and you don't have to let him get away with it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.