A customer slandered me by name on an online review for our company. How do I sue him?

Wayne V.
New Review

Overall RatingAverage review
Customer Comments
Jerry hudnall of Loyalty Movers is a thief and a crook and a rip-off artist.
Your response
This is very inappropriate and uncalled for. The guys worked hard and got your
job done in half the time. If you rent a movie and keep it only an hour, you
still payed for the allotted time.

Asked on May 25, 2017 under Business Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You sue them by filing a summons and complaint in county court--possibly in the small claims part, so you can more easily be your own attorney ("pro se")--for defamation (slander is oral or spoken defamation; libel is written defamation). But what you describe may not be defamation: defamation is only the public stating of a false *fact* about you, not an opinion. Calling you a "thief and a crook and a rip-off artist" is an opinion; as such it is not defamation and is not something you may sue over. Everyone is entitled to have, and state, an opinion, no matter how harmful or unfair. If the customer alleged something factually untrue, such as "he charged for a lost movie when I in fact returned it," that may be defamation, but again, it must be a factual allegation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.