What can I do to clear up 2 misdemeanors from several years ago?

A couple years ago I got into a lot of trouble as a adult (I was 18-19) and my dad kicked me out, so I had to go live with my mother who lives in another state. They are for misdemeanor charges for failing to appear and driving on a revoked/suspended license. I can’t drive all way the down there just to get arrested and held for 3 months; I have a family now, bills and a semi nice job. What do I do? Is there any possible way to fix this?

Asked on July 15, 2015 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You now have a warrant out for your arrest on the failure to appear, so that needs to be handled first, then you will have to deal with the underlying charge of driving on a suspended/revoked. To do this you must appear in court; you will have to go back. However, based on the charges, you have a good chance of getting off with a fine and/or community service (I say a good chance but bear in mind you have not provided the details of your case).

At this point, you should consult directly with an attorney in the area of where the charges were brought. They can use their local contacts toyour best advantge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.