If a contractor owes our company over 60k in unpaid funds, what can I do to try to collect payment?

These are for different jobs in different localities but in the same state.

Asked on December 16, 2015 under Business Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You sue them: that's how you collect money from someone who owes you money but does not pay. You'd sue for breach of contract (violating the agreement, even if an oral/unwritten one, to pay you). If your company is an LLC or corporation, you'll need an attorney to represent you (a non-lawyer can't represent an LLC or corporaton), so you should speak with an attorney (a litigator: someone who handles lawsuits), who will know in which court to sue, how best to sue, etc. and who will draft and file the complaint (document starting the lawsuit). Even if you are a sole proprietorship ("d/b/a/") and so *could* represent yourself (in a sole proprietorship, you and the company are one and the same), you are advised to let an attorney handle this for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.