If a condition of my probation is that I obtain employment to pay restitution for my crime but I’m 62 and will go on SS within the month, can I be forced to get a job?

Or can I agree to allow the Fed’s to take a percentage of my SS?

Asked on September 9, 2014 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I would take on the task of changing the condition of probation officially by seeking to do so from the Judge. I understand that in the end paying it out of pocket would be the same for you but I would not want to guide you in the path of violating a condition, which is what you would be doing. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.