What are my rights if my company terminated me stating one of my managers had inappropriate relationships with other employees and I knew?

That was a false statement. The employee also said that I acted unprofessional in a meeting following an investigation. That was also false. I have more witnesses with signed statements stating I never acted in a manner that could be deemed unprofessional. The accusations we made anonymously. Is there a way I can find out although I know or should I say can I find out who made the accusation and file for slander?

Asked on August 29, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1 If you did not have a written employment contract, you are an employee at will an employee at will may be terminated at any time, for any reason, including unfair or incorrect reasons so without an employement contract, your termination is legal, even though it may well be unfair.
2 If you file a defamation lawsuit and if you don't know the name of the person yet, you can file it against "John Doe", you can issue a subpoena in the context of that lawsuit to get information or documentation from your former employer, such as the name of the persons who complainted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.