a company I owe money to called my place of work. Can they do that?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a collection agency can contact you at work by phone or mail unless the debt collector knows or has reason to know that your employer prohibits you from receiving such communications.  Any written communication sent to you at work must me marked "Personal and Confidential" and a debt collector may not reveal the reason for the call to your supervisor or any co-workers.  If he does, he has violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and you might have the right to sue him.

If you don't want to be contacted at work, write the debt collector a letter asking him not to call you at work or send you notices at work because your boss forbids such activity.
I've provided a link to the Federal Trade Commission. I think that you will find the debt collection information useful: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre18.shtm

David Hamilton / Dwyer & Associates

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately many companies do this. However under the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) creditors are not permitted to call your place of employment if it is known that your employer bans collection calls while on the job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.