If a commercial tenant of ours moved out at the end of their lease but refuses to pay rent that is due, what is the best way to go about recovering the amount owed?

They have a lease.

Asked on August 4, 2015 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The way your recover money from someone for breach of contract--and that's what a lease is: a contract--such as having not paid all amounts due under it is to sue them. IF you think they have the money to pay--since there is no point in suing an insolvent business  or person; a legal judgment in your favor will not produce money where there is none--then you should speak with an attorney about the cost of bringing a lawsuit; then you can decide if it would be worthwhile to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.