If a collections agent called me for an 8 year old bill that I don’t remember, what can I do?

They said they sent me something in the mail, but I never received it. Can I contact the company I supposedly owe debt to and ask them about it? The bill was from when I was living in another state. I moved back to my home state 8 years ago and made sure that all my mail was forwarded there. The company I owe money to has never tried to contact me or send me another bill since then.

Asked on July 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The Statute of Limitation has long expired.  You are no longer legally responsible for the purported bill.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.