What to do if a civil suit was filed against me by someone who already filed criminal charges against me?

I was working for my friend at her consignment shop. I was working under the table for her and she said that I stole money and clothes from her. We went to criminal court and she won; I had to pay $300 in restituion. Then she recently filed a civil suit against me in the amount of $1600 because she wants more money for her pain and suffering. Also, she wants the $900 back in the wages she paid me.

Asked on May 28, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From your description, it sounds like the restitution and civil lawsuuit sre seeking separate damages.Your friend  cannot ( ! ) recover pain and suffering for a theft case. When you defend the lawsuit, your attorney will successfully argue and proove that  it is unlawful to grant damages for "pain and suffering" in a theft case. If you legitimately worked and earned the wages, your friend cannot successfully sue for recovery of wages paid. This is especially true because there is no employment contract providing for the recovery of wages, in the event of employee theft. It sounds like a baseless lawsuit. Unfortunately, it is likely you will need a lawyer to successfully defend it. It sounds like the lawsuit was filed to retaliate against you for the theft.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.