If a case was closed on a trust, how can I find out if my siblings and I were suppose to get something?

Asked on April 29, 2014 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you know the case number and name of the case, you can go to the court and ask the court clerk to let you see the file.  The court file will tell you everything that occurred in the case and the disposition of the case  and whether you and your siblings were to receive anything.

If you don't know the case number, but know the name of the case, you can obtain the case number by looking for the name of the case in the court's computer.  You will need the case number when you ask the court clerk to let you see the file.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy the entire file or just those sections of the file that you want.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.