If a car crashed into the house that I’m renting, what now?

My neighbor crashed her car into my house that I am renting. She has auto insurance. The landlord has homeowner’s insurance. The house is currently uninhabitable but the engineer is trying to stabilize it. How do I recover for any damages like hotel stays and anything that broke when the car hit? I was supposed to be discharged from hospital today and now that will delayed 3 days at least because it’s Friday; I can’t leave until Monday.

Asked on October 20, 2017 under Accident Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) If you have renter's insurance and it provides any coverage for this situation, submit a claim.
2) Otherwise, your only recourse is to sue the at-fault driver (the woman would be at fault, unless possibly she was forced to hit your house by another vehicle hitting or cutting off her, because it is almost by definition driving negligently or carelessly to hit a large, stationary object which is not on the road). If you prove her fault in court (likely), you can get a judgment for the value of any property/belongings she destroyed, any medical bills you had to pay out of pocket due to the accident, any lost wages due to the accident, and likely hotel costs for some reasonable period of time. Suing is how you get money from someone whose careless act cost you money, or caused injuries or damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.