What to do about no A/C for a month?

My A/C was not working for over a month. After 9 calls to maintenance to repair, it was finally fixed. The landlord will not deduct any compensation from the rent for this issue (no A/C for over a month in 100 degree weather). What can I do? I am paying for rent not worth the actual value for an apartment without A/C. At times, it was so hot that I had to bring my kids to McDonalds to be in the A/C.

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord will not compensate you with a reduction in your rent for the month that your rental was without air conditioning, you need to come up with some figure as to what the fair rental value would be with air conditioning and without air conditioning and then bring an action in small claims court for the over payment.

I caution against doing this in that there may have been reasons why the unit took so long to be fixed and a small claims action will not ingratiate yourself with your landlord.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.