A 17 year old was deeded land by her grandmother, can the minor sell the land in alabama?

Land was deeded to the child when she was only 10. Now the
grandmother has passed. The minor wants to sell the land for
college money.

Asked on March 16, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

A minor cannot enter into a contract and cannot sell the land.  She will need an adult ( preferably a parent or guardian) to sell the land for her and give her the proceeds for her college expenses.
If she can wait until she is 18, she will then be an adult and can sell the land herself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.