My friend has been separated for 6 months. They live in separate residences. Their Federal Tax return was done by her mother who’s a CPA. He did not sign it..she rec’d money & spent it. He has their State Return & has not done anything w/it. Can she get in trouble for this?

Asked on June 30, 2009 under Family Law, Ohio


Denise Ferguson / Denise Ferguson Attorney At Law

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

How did she file it if he did not sign it and she did not have his permission? That could cause her issues if he raises a ruckus. And the fact that they have not filed state taxes can hurt them as they are facing penalties and interest if they owe money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.