If estate assets went missing under the guardianship of the executor, who is responsible?

There were $60,000 – $70,000 worth of coins; the coins owner is suing the estate and the 2 executors. 2 of the heirs saw and counted the coins and the room was immediately locked with the executor having the only key. We suspect that the PR’s took the coins. The PR now claims no knowledge of the coins. Should the other heirs have to be penalized by paying for legal defense for the estate?

Asked on September 9, 2010 under Estate Planning, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You may need to have the estate pay for legal defense to not only have a reassignment of the executor but to sue all who you believe are involved in the theft and to ensure those individuals (if more than one) pay the estate back/give back the coins and pay for the attorney costs.  At the end of the day, the executor has certain responsibilities and to ensure that the estate assets are not wasted and in most circumstances that the assets are kept safe.  If you know who did it, you should immediately contact both counsel and the police and get the process started to get back what you need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.