If you work for 2 different companies, can your hours be combined to meet the eligibility requirementsfor short term disability?

I worked 4.5 months this year as an equity actor (union) and the rest of the year split between 2 catering companies. Therefore, I did not work the 1250 hours required to be eligible at any one job. I am 6 months pregnant and my appendix ruptured. Do I have any hope of getting short term disability while I am laid up this next 2 months after surgery? Also, due to the same reasons is there any way that I can be eligible for the short term disability due to maternity leave?

Asked on January 2, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Every state is different. Some states allow state sponsored short disability for such reasons, just like unemployment benefits.  Some states do not. You need to check with the New York Department of Labor to determine (even check the website) if you can obtain short term disability based on your appendix rupture, your pregnancy or both.  You may need to go in and sit down with a counselor there who can review your claim or potential claim and see if you qualify.  If you don't, does the union to which you belong (like SAG for example) offer short term disability at a certain amount?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.