If 5 years ago I was charged with forgery 1st degree felony, can I have this expunged off my record?

It was my first time and they gave me Nolle Prosequi.

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The "nolle prosequi" that you have written about as to the charged felony means that the action was dismissed against you without you being convicted of the charge. Since there was no conviction of the charge there is nothing for you to have expunged.

You might want to consult with a criminal defense attorney about having your matter sealed via a court order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.