Can the statute of limitations be extended?

Approximately, 4 years ago I banged my head on a low ceiling at a residence, and for years I have suffered pain and discomfort in the head, neck and face from the bang. Shortly after the incident, my doctor diagnosed trigeminal neuralgia from the trauma of the bang but she never told me of her diagnosis. I found out only 2 weeks ago because she transferred to another hospital and I picked up my medical records from the old office. When I reviewed the records, I saw her reference to the incident and the diagnoses. Normally the personal injury statute of limitations is 3 years but since I just found out about the diagnosis, can I sue now, 4 years later.

Asked on August 20, 2014 under Personal Injury, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I would absolutely speak with a negligence attorney.  Your state does allow tolls of the statute.  One such exception to the SOL the “discovery rule.” In cases where the injured party is not aware of the cause of his injury, or that he has been injured, the period specified in the statute does not begin to run until the injured party discovers—or should reasonably have discovered—his injury. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.