What to do if 2 weeks before my son turned 18 but was in a minor accident when he was 17?

We purchased a car Friday and the next day someone almost hit him, swerved and she ended up in the front yard. Both cars never touched each other. He was in the process of getting insurance and changing over the registration on monday, the other party insurance states he owes money to them. essentially this seems worng, we gave our auto policy to them haven’t heard and now they are stating that since he is now an adult he owes money. What recourse do we have? Is there a status of limitations given that he was a minor when this occurred?

Asked on November 6, 2012 under Accident Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that your son had an automobile insurance policy in effect at the time the accident happened you need to place the carrier on notice about the incident and proceed with the paper work as to the matter. Let the claims representative for your carrier handle the matter. After all, this is why people have car insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.