What to do about a first-time domestic battery and cruelty to children charge?

I got into an argument with my husband in which I pushed him roughly while my son was asleep in the other room (4 months old). After the argument I needed to just go and cool off, so I went into the room and my husband had my son. As I reached for my son, my wedding ring accidentally scrapped across my husband’s lip which caused him to bleed. After I left are home with my son the police arrested me with domestic battery and cruelty to children in the third degree. I have no record of any kind, not even a traffic ticket. Will I go to jail for this? Also, the police did not read my rights.

Asked on October 29, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

What  you do is (1) get a crimianl defense attorney to represent you; and (2) do NOT say anything to the authorities (police or prosecutor) until and unless you speak to your attorney (remember: you have a constitutional right against self-incrimination, called the

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.