What legally am I able to do to get as far away from my parents as possible?

I’m almost 17 and in 11th grade. My parents are divorced and have joint custody of me. My father doesn’t really do his share of work raising me. I am in a bad situation in both of the homes; my parents both have mental issues and addictions. There is abuse going on but I’d rather not get them in trouble; I’d rather just leave. I am aware that I am not able to get emancipated in the state in which I live with my mother but what would make me eligible for emancipation in the state in which my father lives (NJ)?

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Family Law, Delaware


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

New Jersey has no formal emancipation laws on the books and so it is very difficult to obtain emancipation there.  Are there any adults or family members that you trust in order to be able to get you away from the situations that you are in?  You need to confide in some one -please - to help protect you.  A grandparent or aunt or adult cousin - some one who can take you in.  Determinations are made in the best interest of the child.  You are still a child.  You deserve better.  You are obviously very smart, strong and capable and thinkgs will get better if your persist.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.