15 year old Brother let friend ride dirtbike

Friend picked up my brother and loaded up my
brothers dirt bike to go riding. My brother let his
friend ride the dirt bike and the friend got
injured. Broken ribs, collapsed lung, broken
back and leg. Both parents where aware of the
outing and gave permission. Can they sue my
family since it was my brothers dirt bike?

Asked on March 6, 2017 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can potentially sue your family since not only was it your brother's dirt bike, but it could very likely be seen as negligent, or unreasonably careless, to let the friend ride--at least if there was not strong evidence that he was an already or experienced rider of dirt bikes. 
This is not to say that they will definitely win--his parents' own negligence in lettting him ride will count against them, as will his personal negligence if he was riding wildly or carelessly, or lied about his ability to ride. These factors coud possibly cause them to lose entirely, or at least reduce what they could win, by offsetting their liability vs. your family's. But as stated, they can at the least bring a lawsuit and make out a claim which you'd have to take seriously, and they could possibly, depending on the exact circumstances, win. If they do sue, retain an attorney right away; in the meantime, be careful to not say anything that could even indirectly or obliquely suggest you acknowledge fault or liability, because such could be used against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.