What can I do about getting my criminal history record cleared?

There is a conviction on my record for misdemeanor assault 3rd degree from 18 years ago. Nothing at all since, and I have held high level security jobs for the last 10 years. Recently I have become unemployed and now I can’t get a job because of this incident almost 20 years ago. Is there anything I can do about this?

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Criminal Law, Alabama


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You will need to file an application to set aside the conviction from 18 years ago, this is commonly referred to as a "criminal expungement". An expungement officially removes the criminal conviction from your record. Once expunged from your criminal record, you can honestly tell employers that you have never been convicted of a crime.

Because each State rules and eligibility requirements vary, it is best to consult a criminal defense attorney in your area to determine if you qualify for an expungement in your state, and if so, to begin the process of having this record expunged. This process can take a few months to complete, so you would want to start sooner than later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.